Week 11

This week we talked a lot about budgeting as a married couple and family. Brother Williams spoke a lot about how having a second income was debilitating to a family and marriage. Not to say anything he said wasn't true, but it very well could be the case that having a second income creates more problems than it solves, but the people who I know who take a second income seem to do very well while balancing a happy marriage and family. I'm glad Brother Williams told us how he came to these conclusions, but I felt that the sources might be out of date and his justifications were somewhat biased. We made a list of expenses that the teacher presented as unwanted burdens to the family's finances, but to me seemed like luxuries, a new car, "splurging the kids", etc. Again, I'm not saying what he says isn't true, I just don't think I have enough evidence or understanding to say having a second income is either good or bad. At any rate, to quote the prophet, Joshua, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Of course, I intend to fulfill my roles as given by the family proclamation, and I expect my spouse to do the same, but if she would like to take another job to feel more fulfilled, who am I to say no? One of my mom's biggest life regrets is that she didn't fulfill her dream of becoming a high school English teacher, and when she talks about it, it makes me sad that she didn't get that chance. My point is that I know I want to have a job to feel more fulfilled, and if my wife wants to do the same or if she'd rather stay at home, that's her choice and I'll support her in that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog